Warning: ini_get_all() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/optimumc/public_html/wsaigosports.com/wp-includes/load.php on line 1040
Warning: ini_get_all() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/optimumc/public_html/wsaigosports.com/wp-includes/load.php on line 1040 MotoGP news 2018: Marc Marquez injury return date, shoulder surgery, Sepang shakedown test Malaysia – WSAIGO Sports
Seven-time MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez expects his recovery from shoulder surgery will take “all the winter” as the Spaniard faces a race against time to be fully fit for the Sepang shakedown in early February.
The Spaniard underwent successful surgery this week on the recurring shoulder injury he further damaged in the final GP of the season in Valencia.
He did compete in the post-season Jerez tests last week before having the operation and predicted his recovery will take him right up until February, when the first round of testing occurs in Sepang on the 1st of the month.
Buenos días a todos! Ya me encuentro mejor💪🏼 Gracias por los mensajes de ánimo! Good morning! I feel better 💪🏼 Thanks for your support messages! pic.twitter.com/nLJ1Qbq8Ek
Australian Toby Price has won his second Dakar Rally motorcycle title, while Qatar’s Nasser Al-Attiyah claiming his third title in the main car category.
Price broke the scaphoid bone in his right wrist weeks before the race and thought he would endure two stages then pull out, but support and luck kept him going in Peru.
He came to the 10th and last stage on Thursday after racing almost 5200km with only one minute’s lead over rival Pablo Quintanilla.
Then just 10km into the dune-heavy, 112km course from Pisco to Lima, the Chilean rider fell off his bike and injured his foot.
Aussie Price dominating Dakar
After Quintanilla crashed, the 2016 champion went for broke to take the overall lead.
“The pain and torture has been worth it,” Price said. “(The pain) feels like there are about five people driving a knife in my wrist. It’s not very comfortable, it’s not very enjoyable.
“It’s very crazy to sit here and say that we won the Dakar Rally with no stage victories until today. It’s really crazy. I’m over the moon.”
It is Price’s second title and he also finished third in 2015 and 2018. With Quintanilla’s chances of winning a maiden Dakar title evaporating instantly, the Chilean got back on his Husqvarna to try and save a podium place. But he lost 19 minutes though and dropped to fourth overall.
Spaniard Nani Roma, who won two motorbike titles before switching to four wheels in 2005, was second after a busier-than-usual year of rallying to rebound from crashing out early in the Dakar last year.
Sebastien Loeb, who was in title contention until electrical problems on Monday, was third at his fourth Dakar.
Meanwhile, in the main car category Al-Attiyah could sit back and play it safe thanks to a 51-minute overall lead.
He let others race for the stage win, which went to Carlos Sainz, last year’s champion.
Al-Attiyah rolled in nine minutes later in his Toyota, and finished 46 minutes ahead of Nani Roma, the 2014 champion.
Runner-up to Sainz last year, Al-Attiyah regained the title he earned in 2011 and 2015, when the Qatari also won with French co-driver Mathieu Baumel. “It’s fantastic, no mistakes,” Al-Attiyah said.
“The good thing was that from day three we were leading and we built on our time every day until we came to the last day with a big, big lead. We felt that a 100 per cent Peru rally, with no other country, there would be a lot of sand dunes, so we could do what we know we’re good at.” Russian Eduard Nikolaev secured his third successive Dakar title, and fourth in total, in the truck category with Kamaz.
The 41-year-old still had a year remaining on his contract with GRM and was preparing to start the new season as the oldest person on the starting grid following the retirement of Craig Lowndes.
However, his full-time driving career was instead ended 12 months early as he was replaced by Tickford Racing reject Richie Stanaway.
Tander, who has won at Bathurst three times in his long career, will instead pair up with Shane van Gisbergen in the No. 97 after it was confirmed Lowndes would reunite with Jamie Whincup in the other Triple Eight car.
The partnership will be “at least” two years and will see Tander co-drive for SVG at Gold Coast 600 and Sandown 500, as well as at Mount Panorama in the PIRTEK Enduro Cup.
“Triple Eight have clearly been the class team in Supercars for the best part of the last decade, their results speak for themselves,” Tander said.
“When the opportunity arose to join the team alongside Shane for the enduros it was clearly the best way for me to transition from a full-time driver to a co-driver in this next phase of my career.
“Shane has come so close at the mountain a couple of times in the last few years, I’ve been close a few times in the last few years, so while the mountain doesn’t owe anyone anything, if you keep putting yourself up the front at that race, eventually the cards can fall your way.”
Van Gisbergen himself said he hoped Tander would give him the final push he needs to win Bathurst, having previously driven together during Australian GT.
“As far as experience goes, there’s probably not many better drivers,” he said. “Craig is back driving with Jamie, which is fitting, and if you can’t have Craig then Garth is definitely the best person to have on your team.”
Garry Rogers Motorsport has stunned the world of Supercars by dumping veteran and former champion Garth Tander for the 2019 season, all but certainly ending his full-time driving career.
The 41-year-old only recently spoke of how he was planning to scale back on his extra-curricular racing outside of Supercars so he can focus solely on the series this year.
However, if he is to do that then it will no longer be with GRM after they announced Richie Stanaway as his replacement after he was in turn dropped by Tickford Racing in December, despite having a year still left of his contract.
Tander was set to be the oldest person on the starting grid this year following the retirement of Craig Lowndes and revealed in a recent interview with Supercars.com that he was jokingly warned to not quit by Garry Rogers following the Holden legend’s announcement.
“Straight after Craig’s announcement in Townsville, Garry came and found me and the first thing he said to me was ‘don’t get any ideas!’” he said last month. “They told me they want me to hang around for a bit longer.”
However it turns out not too much longer and despite the two parties’ agreement to prolong their relationship Tander now finds himself out of the door.
Lowndes’ amazing career
In an official statement, Tander said about the decision: “I’m grateful for the start that Garry gave me in Supercars and understand his decision to end my full-time driving career. I’m now going to take a deep breath and consider my future that won’t be at GRM. I wish the team well for the future.”
Rogers himself expressed his regret at not being able to give Tander a hero’s send-off similar to the one Lowndes received with the 2007 champion instead being shuffled out the back door during the off-season.
“It obviously comes as a surprise to most that Garth will not be driving at GRM in 2019,” he said. “On Garth’s return to GRM in 2017 he was guaranteed two years of full-time driving and a management role following that.
“There were many aspects to my decision including that Garth was nearing the end of his career and has expressed that 2019 could be his final full-time season as a driver.
“I was very conscious of the fact that I would be both the one that started and ended Garth’s full-time Supercar career and this weighed heavily on me.
“In a perfect world I would absolutely have loved to give Garth the send-off that a champion deserves, but I never lost sight that motorsport, although centred around the driver, is about the team and not any one individual.”
Stanaway will join James Golding this season while the team also announced Boost Mobile will continue as their naming-rights partner in a new multi-year deal.