HOLDEN has put the brakes on the project to replace its V8 engine in Supercars.
Holden Motorsport, Triple Eight Race Engineering and Supercars put out a joint statement on Friday morning confirming that “it will put a hold on the development of the V6 twin-turbo Supercars engine,” with the priority to instead focus on the current V8-powered ZB Commodore.
The move comes a day after a source at Triple Eight confirmed to FOX SPORTS that the team was targeting the Sydney SuperNight 300 in August as the debut race for the new engine.
LIVE stream the Tyrepower Tasmania SuperSprint Exclusively Live & Ad-break free during racing on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week Foxtel Now trial & start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW >
‘V6 A MISTAKE’: F1 team chief’s warning to Supercars
The statement leaves the future of the power unit uncertain, with no new target date mentioned.
“At Holden we are always assessing the motorsport landscape,” Mark Harland, Holden’s executive director of marketing, said.
“After working closely with all Holden teams we have decided to put a hold on the development of the V6 Supercars engine.
“We are 100% committed to motorsport and our sponsorship of the Red Bull Holden Racing Team and supporting all Holden teams in both the Supercars and SuperUte paddock.
“This is thanks to the monumental effort Holden and Triple Eight have put into engineering and developing the Holden Supercar and we remain committed to that advancement of motorsport engineering in what is one of the most technically advanced motorsport categories in the world.
“We’re excited to see how the all-new Commodore supercar is performing on the track and the interest the road car is getting in our showrooms. It’s a great car and we’re proud of it.”
The V6 twin turbo has been in development for over 12 months, a joint project between Triple Eight, Holden and General Motors’ race division in the United States.
The power unit was given its track debut in the team’s Supercars-derived Sandman wagon mid-last year before turning its first public laps at the Bathurst 1000.
Holden had been poised to become the first marque to adopt a non-V8 race engine under Supercars’ new Gen2 rules, designed to allow potential new manufacturers an easier passage into the championship.
“Our current rules allow manufacturers and teams to implement various configurations of power plants,” Sean Seamer, Supercars CEO, said.
“So, while the ZB won’t have a turbo engine configuration at the moment, it’s important that we, as a category, continue to build our learnings and expertise on forced induction.
“We look forward to continuing our great relationship with both Holden and the Teams, irrespective of what engine they choose to run.”