Four-time Pro Bowl defensive end Cameron Jordan and the New Orleans Saints reached agreement on a three-year contract extension that will contractually tie the two sides together for the next five seasons, through 2023, sources tell ESPN.
Jordan’s extension — engineered by agent Doug Hendrickson of Wasserman and the Saints’ vice president of football administration, Khai Harley — is a three-year, $52.5 million deal with a max of $55.5 million that includes over $42 million in guaranteed money, per sources.
Jordan, who turns 30 on July 10, wanted financial security now, and the Saints wanted to keep one of their top players and leaders happy, with the team trying to ensure that he finishes his career in New Orleans. He now has five years and a maximum value of $74 million left on his deal after Tuesday’s extension.
Jordan wouldn’t confirm he had agreed to a contract extension Tuesday but discussed how important it was to him to play for just one team in his career.
“My goal is to win a Super Bowl here. Then my goal will be to win another Super Bowl. I’ve always said that New Orleans has become my home,” Jordan said Tuesday. “My kids are in New Orleans. I’ll be in New Orleans ’til they decide they don’t want me no more. … My dad [Steve Jordan] played for the Vikings for 13 years. I always said I want to be with the same team for the rest of my career.”
The first-round pick in 2011 had two years left on a five-year extension that he signed in 2015 worth between $55 million and $60 million.
But that deal was signed before Jordan became the player he is now: a first-team All-Pro in 2017 with 13 sacks and a second-team All-Pro in 2018 with 12 sacks. It was signed before he established himself as one of New Orleans’ core leaders in the locker room and in the community. And it was signed before the NFL’s elite edge rushers started getting paid almost as much as quarterbacks.
ESPN’s Mike Triplett contributed to this report.
Chiefs’ Bieniemy — Not playcaller, but has input
ATLANTA — Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy scoffed at the idea that not being a playcaller cost him an opportunity to become a head coach after he interviewed for four head-coaching vacancies.
At this week’s NFL Quarterback Coaching Summit hosted by the NFL and Black College Football Hall of Fame, Bieniemy said he relished the opportunity to interview with the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cincinnati Bengals and Miami Dolphins. Only one of the eight teams with new head coaches hired a minority, as the Dolphins selected Brian Flores.
“Here’s my response about the playcalling: coach (Andy) Reid has always done it his way, and that’s how historically he’s done it because he’s Coach Reid,” Bieniemy told ESPN. “He has a beautiful mind, and we all work hand-in-hand together. And he gives me the green light to do a number of things. I have input. I do scripts. I get the install. There are a number of things that I do.”
As Jason Reid of The Undefeated reported in January, Reid said Bieniemy had been “unbelievable” as coordinator, while MVP Patrick Mahomes called Bieniemy a “special coach” and a guy who has helped him a ton.
“Do I talk to the quarterback? Yes,” Bieniemy said. “(Reid) is reciting what he wants me to particularly tell Pat to call. So if people want to make a big deal about that, so be it. The experience that I’ve gotten, understanding how an offensive system works, the organization, how to prepare it, how to get guys going and moving in one direction for one cause, that’s what this is about.”
Although Bieniemy’s focus remains on his current duties with the Chiefs, it seems likely that he’ll receive a head-coaching opportunity based on his strong reputation. The Fritz Pollard Alliance, which oversees compliance with the Rooney Rule requiring teams to interview minority candidates, backed Bieniemy, 49, throughout the interview process.
“John Wooten and the Fritz Pollard Alliance, I thought they did a hell of a job; they gave me an opportunity,” Bieniemy said. “Obviously, Coach Reid has given me an opportunity. And I think my interviewing process went about as good as it could go.
“Also, it gave me the experience moving forward knowing that, ‘You know what, this is my first go-around. Second go-around, if I’m blessed and fortunate to be placed in that situation, I’ll be that much better.’ But as far as a head-coaching position is concerned, right now we’re focused on the season. Obviously, we want to go out and do some things that’s going to help us to continue to have success. Then if somebody wants to give me a chance, I’ll be willing, ready, and waiting for that opportunity.”
Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson, two former black NFL head coaches, both expressed support for Bieniemy.
“In my mind, there’s no question that Eric Bieniemy deserves an opportunity to be head coach in the National Football League,” Lewis said. “I’m a very, very close friend of Andy Reid’s and for the last three years, he’s talked to me about Eric’s ability and attributes and what he has added to their offense. That’s why he elevated him to the coordinator role. Andy has recommended a number of coaches to me over the years, and he’s never been wrong.”
“Yes, Eric Bieniemy does deserve a head-coaching job,” Jackson said. “There’s no question about it. I think he’s one of the brightest, young offensive minds in the NFL. Everyone says who is the next up-and-coming guy, and he’s been that. He’s worthy of that. I mean, watch how the quarterback played in Kansas City. I just know when they talk about offense, they talk about Eric.”
Working on the offensive side of the ball should work in Bieniemy’s favor, with most teams seemingly looking for the next bright offensive mind. Bieniemy is one of two black offensive coordinators, along with Byron Leftwich of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
“I’ve been an offensive coach my whole entire life,” Bieniemy said. “People think just because you coach running backs you don’t understand the pass game. Well, when you’ve played the position, and you’re involved in coaching the position, you’ve got to make sure guys understand the entire game plan, meaning you’re very much involved in the pass game. You have to understand protections. You have to understand route concepts. You have to understand how defenses are structured going against you.
“Do we need more [minority] coaches on the offensive side of the ball? Yes. How do we go about doing that? We have to make sure there’s a plan for guys of helping guys get into that quarterback room and into quality-control positions so those guys can add that knowledge and learn how to deal with the quarterbacks, learn the language and speak it.”
Ramsey now avoids dissing QBs — ‘I’m growing’
Asked by ESPN Adam Schefter on his podcast if he wanted to evaluate the quarterbacks he will face in the 2019 season, Ramsey passed and only wanted to talk about Nick Foles, who signed a four-year contract this offseason to become the Jaguars’ new starting quarterback.
“You want to do this again, huh? I’m not going to do this again but, we do play some good quarterbacks this year, of course, but probably the quarterback I’m most excited for is Nick Foles,” Ramsey told Schefter. “I don’t have to play against him, of course. He is my teammate. He is a great teammate, the few interactions we’ve had has been great. Great man, great player as well. He has nothing to prove to anybody. He’s a Super Bowl champion, Super Bowl MVP. So, I hope he comes out here and he plays free and knows he has the support of everybody.”
But Ramsey said he’s grown since last year.
“I’m growing man, it’s Year 4 for me. It’s a different me. A lot of people think they know me, they don’t really know me. But hey, that’s OK,” he said.
Ramsey, the No. 5 overall pick in 2016, has made two Pro Bowls and was named a first-team All-Pro once in his first three seasons. He has nine interceptions and 44 pass breakups and hasn’t missed a start.
Judge OKs $24M settlement over Rams’ PSLs
ST. LOUIS — A federal judge has approved a settlement calling for the NFL’s Rams to pay up to $24 million to personal seat license holders in St. Louis.
U.S. District Judge Stephen Limbaugh Jr. approved the settlement Monday.
Several St. Louis PSL holders filed a class-action lawsuit after the team moved to Los Angeles in January 2016. Thousands of fans in St. Louis had purchased PSLs that were good for 30 seasons, which was the length of the lease at the domed stadium where the Rams played in St. Louis. Rams owner Stan Kroenke took the team to California after 21 seasons.
The lawsuit calls for PSL holders to get 30 percent of the original purchase price, a refund for the nine unused years of the seat license fee, plus damages.
Recent Match Report – England vs Australia, World Cup, 32nd match
Astros activate Springer after long stay on IL
Matthijs de Ligt destroyed after picking Juventus over Man Utd and Barcelona
How Vanderbilt rose from the depths of grief to the College World Series
Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Red Devils to smash transfer record, shock £36m striker target
Recent Match Report – Essex vs Somerset, County Championship Division One, 2nd Innings
Everything you need to know halfway through the MLB season
Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Defender exit, Spurs force Gunners into £26m bid, Tierney
NBA Offseason 2019: June 25 roundup
Braves reinstate Newcomb from concussion list
MLB6 days ago
Maddon awed by HR boom: It’s ‘extraterrestrial’
NBA5 days ago
In action-packed Draft, Hawks and Grizzlies add to promising cores
NFL1 day ago
Seahawks rookie receiver DK Metcalf has brains to go with brawn – Seattle Seahawks Blog
NFL2 days ago
How Jets’ Sam Darnold can improve in 2019, sans mentor and burrito buddy – New York Jets Blog
Soccer6 days ago
Liverpool transfer news LIVE: Fekir plan, Koulibaly 'contact' made, Griezmann deal tipped
NFL1 day ago
Why Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott has earned a big payday – Dallas Cowboys Blog
NBA4 days ago
2019 NBA Summer League schedules released
Cricket1 day ago
‘We tried to get Rabada not to go to the IPL’ – Faf du Plessis