Connect with us

NFL

QB Wilson won’t sign after deadline

Published

on

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson does not intend to sign a contract extension with the team this season if he does not reach an agreement by his self-imposed deadline of midnight Monday, sources told ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

It will be a challenge to get a new deal done by that deadline, though the sides are trying as talks continue, sources told Schefter.

Wilson’s contract is up after this season. If a new contract is not agreed on, the Seahawks presumably will place their franchise tag on Wilson.

Wilson is expected to participate in all of the Seahawks’ offseason activities and attend training camp.

As for suggestions that the Seahawks could trade Wilson if he does not sign a new deal, there are no obvious teams willing to surrender draft picks or pay Wilson what he is seeking, sources said.

In 2015, Wilson also set a deadline for an extension, but that wasn’t until the start of training camp, and the two sides agreed on a four-year, $87.6 million deal at the last minute. After that extension, Wilson said he would have tabled contract talks and played out the final year of his rookie contract had the two sides not met the deadline.

His last deal made him the NFL’s second-highest-paid quarterback, behind Aaron Rodgers‘ $22 million per season. Wilson has since fallen to 12th in terms of annual average salary among quarterbacks, and it is believed he wants his next contract to hold up longer than his last one.

Rodgers is back atop the quarterback pay scale after signing an extension last year that averages $33.5 million.

Source link

NFL

TE Watson considering 16th season

Published

on

Veteran tight end Benjamin Watson, who intended to retire after last season, is now considering a return to the NFL for a 16th season, league sources told ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Saturday.

Watson, whose wife is due to give birth to twins next week, might be open to returning to the NFL under the right situation, the sources said.

The 38-year-old Watson, whose contract with the New Orleans Saints expired after the 2018 season, ranks 14th among tight ends in NFL history with 530 career receptions. Watson has amassed 5,885 yards and 44 touchdown catches.

He previously said that 2018 would be his final season in the NFL. A first-round pick of New England in 2004, the two-time finalist for the league’s Walter Payton Man of the Year award has also played for the Browns and Ravens.

“I knew coming into this year that it probably would be the last year,” Watson said at the end of last season. “And I think our approach was as a family that we were fortunate to come and play for another year, but you kind of know. It’s been great to be a part of this team and have this sort of winning at this point of my career. But the injuries add up, the body struggles more and more. And it becomes evident that it’s time.”

Watson played in every game for the Saints last season, catching 35 passes for 400 yards and two touchdowns. It was his second stint with the Saints.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Lennon’s ‘Sgt. Pepper’s’ piano sold to Colts’ Irsay

Published

on

INDIANAPOLIS — An upright piano that John Lennon used to write Beatles’ songs has been sold at auction to Jim Irsay. Just “A Day in the Life” of the owner of the Indianapolis Colts.

Irsay tweeted Saturday that he’s “elated” to now own the instrument Lennon used to compose songs for The Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” album.

The Indianapolis Star reports the piano, made in the 1870s, was auctioned on the site GottaHaveRockandRoll.com, with a minimum required bid of $575,000. The site estimated it would sell for between $800,000 and $1.2 million. As of Saturday afternoon, the final price tag had not yet been announced.

Irsay called ownership of the piano a “responsibility I take seriously, with future generations in mind.”

The Star reports Irsay previously bought guitars once owned by music legends Jerry Garcia, Prince and Bob Dylan.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source link

Continue Reading

NFL

Source — Seahawks want 1st-rounder for DE Clark

Published

on

The Seattle Seahawks are still considering trading defensive end Frank Clark, a league source told ESPN’s Adam Schefter on Saturday.

In return, the Seahawks would want any package to include at least a first-round pick in next week’s NFL draft, the source said.

Clark, who has yet to sign his $17.128 million franchise tag, has been the subject of trade rumors. He led the Seahawks with 13 sacks and also had four forced fumbles and an interception last season, and he added another sack in a wild-card playoff loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

Earlier this week, Seahawks general manager John Schneider said trade rumors are common this time of year, but he didn’t shoot down any involving Clark, who turns 26 in June.

“He’s a franchised player. We love Frank,” Schneider said. “He’s an incredibly effective pass-rusher and we love him. … When you’re getting close to the trade deadline and you get close to the draft, it’s like major speculation, a ton of drama, all the news outlets and everything. I get it. It’s what we’re doing, it’s entertainment.

“People around the league know that we’re in every deal, that the people on my staff, we’re always trying to understand the landscape around the National Football League. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t be doing our job. We can’t ever have our head in the sand with anything, but we love Frank. Obviously that’s why we franchised him.”

ESPN’s Brady Henderson contributed to this report.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending